Henniker, New Hampshire 03242
Henniker, NH Lodging, Real Estate, Travel & Visitor Information
The town of Henniker, New Hampshire was first known as Number 6, part of a line of settlements running between the Merrimack and Connecticut Rivers, and the area was settled by families from Marlborough, Massachusetts, naming it New Marlborough. In 1752 the land was granted to Andrew Todd, who named it Todd’s-town.
In 1768, Henniker was named for Sir John Henniker, a London merchant who had shipping interests in Boston and Portsmouth prior to the revolution, giving it the distinction of being the only place named Henniker on earth. Henniker is home of the historic Colby Hill Inn – a NH Living recommended inn, and New England College is located here. The Henniker Historical Society is located in historic Academy Hall and operates a museum at 5A Maple Street in Henniker. The Tucker Free Library (see photo below) is located in an historic building. Pat’s Peak Ski Area is located here.
The Henniker Covered Bridge is located south of Route 9 and spans the Contoocook River. The bridge was built by Milton Graton and his son Arnold in 1972 using traditional methods. The bridge serves New England College and the community as footbridge across the Contoocook River. Visit more New Hampshire Covered Bridges.
Henniker, NH Population:
Henniker, NH Local Information
Henniker Police Dispatch: 911
New England Living Magazine